ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] How to back up nothing

2007-05-04 03:46:08
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] How to back up nothing
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 4 May 2007 17:45:30 +1000
Hey Fred

How about creating a macro delgen.mac like

select 'del assoc '||domain_name||' '||node_name||' '||schedule_name as
"xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" -
from associations where node_name in (%1) > c:\temp\delassoc.mac
macro c:\temp\delassoc.mac

Run it with

dsmadmc  -noconfirm -dataonly -itemcommit macro delgen.mac
"'NODEA','NODEB','NODEC'"

I might be off with a few details, but you get the idea
If you are using unix, commadelimited and awk might be the way to go in
a shell script to skin the cat another way.

Regards

Steve
Steven Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Brisbane Australia
Moving to Sydney soon - anyone interested in offering me a job?

Fred Johanson wrote:
Many years ago, I acquired the User from Hell, answerable to
no one I'm resposible to and totally uncooperative.  So now
he has his own backup system and I can get rid of all traces
of his existence.  So the problem.

Of his 913 registered clients, 200+ are still active.  If I
delete one that has a active schedule running, it floods my
notification script with ANS2050E messages.  If I keep the
node in my system, TSM keeps on backing up machines being
backed up elsewhere.  So how to get rid of them, they're
sitting on about 100 3592 cartridges.  The obvious solution,
turning off the scheduler on the live nodes, is unacceptable,
as it requires too much effort and sneakerware from the user.

So I tried changing the default mgmtc to make no backups.
but TSM requires a non-zero value in the VERSIONEXISTS field
for the DEF COPY command.  Tonight, I have two other thoughts.

1.   Point the backups to a storagepool that has no space
allocated.  All schedules backups fail, but the notification
goes to the user instead of me, saving me from hundreds of
alerts of an unregistered node trying to access the system.
This seems easy to implement, but the user still gets 200+
notifications of failed backup, which he will continue to
ignore.

2.   Create an optionset that looks something like:

     DOMAIN ALLLOCAL-SYSTEMOBJECT
     excl.fs  ?;*

There would be a similar op[tionset for the approximately 100
MACs involved.  I'm not sure if the syntax here is correct

I welcome any other suggestions in how to get out of this
situation with my sanity intact.

Thank you all.

Fred Johanson