ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 8 char volser in 3584

2007-05-03 06:16:35
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 8 char volser in 3584
From: CAYE PIERRE <Pierre.Caye AT ALCATEL-LUCENT DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 12:15:48 +0200
Well... problem is that originaly the tapes where labelled with 6 chars.
If you wish to use 8 char volser, you need to relabel them after having enabled
the 8 char volser reporting on the library.

First check out your tapes (remove=no), then launch:
label libv search=yes labelsource=barcode checkin=scratch overwrite=yes
Labelsource=barcode allow the use by tsm of the volser reported by the library
(8 char in your case)
Overwrite=yes instruct tsm to overwrite the original label written on the tape,
except if the label already exist in a storage pool or in volhistory

Be carefull that, using 6 char labelled tapes with 8 char volser reporting on
the library will generate potential mistakes when, particularly, checking in
tapes without checklabel or auditing librarry with checklabel=barcode
So you have to choose, first, waht kind of volser reporting you want to use,
then label ALL tapes.

Pierre Cayé