ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Trying to download the ADSM-L archive

2007-05-01 16:31:22
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Trying to download the ADSM-L archive
From: Curtis Preston <cpreston AT GLASSHOUSE DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 1 May 2007 16:30:05 -0400
There's actually a number of reasons.  The first is that the phpbb forum
method of threading topics is far superior (IMHO) to anything I've ever
seen in any mailing list archive, including the rather nice one that
David Moring has.  All messages related to a given thread are available
in a single view.

Consider the different views of the "Test message please ignore" thread.
In David's archive (not to pick on you David, it's actually much nicer
than most), each message is a separate URL:

http://tinyurl.com/3b64os

Here's the same thread imported into the forum:

http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=56035

See how everything with the same subject is all threaded into a single
page?  Isn't that nice?

The next reason is that the search mechanism in phpbb is also quite
good:
http://www.backupcentral.com/phpBB2/search.php

Finally, the forum link creates a place where people can view postings,
make postings, and access archives -- all from the same place -- and
without actually subscribing to the mailing list if they don't want to.
(All messages sent to the list go the forum, and vice versa.)

Finally, I've done this for NBU and NW already, and I'm just trying to
bring it to TSM as well.

---
W. Curtis Preston
Author of O'Reilly's Backup & Recovery and Using SANs and NAS
VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies