ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] AIX TSM LPAR questions

2007-04-30 12:22:56
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] AIX TSM LPAR questions
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:22:10 -0400
It all depends on your setup.
If you are assigning physical resources to the TSM LPAT, NICS and
FIBRE, then it really is no different from a standalone.

If the model of p5 is a large one and you are consolidating a number of
servers to a single LPAR, then you might want to
look into defining virtual ethernets on all your LPARS on the server
that is also hosting TSM. Then your backups can go
over the virtual ethernet, actually memory to memory transfers...think
I read 17GB substained.

>>> GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM 04/30/07 1:06 PM >>>
Hi all,

I just received a new system p5 and will be virtualizing a couple of
TSM
servers on to it. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who
might have a system set up similar and would like to pass on any
things
you may have learned or changed while bringing up your system. I'd
like
to know how yours is performing and what you may have discovered you
could pass on in the way of do's and don'ts.

Please feel free to email me privately as I know there are a lot of
'it
depends' type of answers and so I can pass on what I have available to
create LPAR's.

Geoff Gill
TSM Administrator
PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator
SAIC M/S-G1b
(858)826-4062
Email: geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com

contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message is from an
attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also contain confidential
attorney-client communications which may be privileged and protected from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the New York State
Thruway Authority immediately by either responding to this e-mail or calling
(518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.