ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration of TSM from zLinux to Intel Linux

2007-04-27 09:46:38
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration of TSM from zLinux to Intel Linux
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 09:46:06 -0400
-----Mark Stapleton wrote: -----

>Has anyone out there done this sort of migration by restoring the TSM
>database from the old server to the new server?
>
>I've never worked with zLinux before, but my understanding is that
>zLinux partitions use the same type of filespaces (EXT2, EXT3,
>ReiserFS, etc.) that stand-alone Linux does. That being true, the
>database restore should be a snap.

Other people who have tried cross-platform database restores have
gotten error messages implying that the header fields of TSM
database backups contain integers written in the native format
of the system that created the backup. IBM mainframes use the
big-endian integer format, with the most significant bits of the
integer in the byte with the lowest address. Intel systems use
the little-endian format, with the most significant bit in the
byte with the highest address. An attempt to restore a mainframe
database backup to an Intel system would fail as soon as the Intel
system read a big-endian integer and tried to interpret it as a
little-endian integer.