ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Open file support for Unix clients ?

2007-04-27 04:33:52
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Open file support for Unix clients ?
From: Ronald Le Large <rlelarge AT EPO DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:33:19 +0200
Richard, Stef,

Thx for your feedback.

The copy group we are using nowadays to backup logs, is not correct. The
logs are bound to a def.mgmt class which is using serialization of  Shared
Static.

I want to bind the logs to another mgmt class with serialization Dynamic.
But before that, I also wanted to know if there were other ways to deal
with open log files..

Richard,
We do cut off the logs and back these up but the Unix team also wants to
have the open logs backed up.

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Sincères salutations

Ronald Le Large

Stef Coene <stef.coene AT DOCUM DOT ORG>
26-04-2007 20:59
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject

On Thursday 26 April 2007, Ronald Le Large wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am annoyed by the many skipped log files during the daily incremental
> backups of the Unix clients.
Unix has no problem backing up open files.  Are you sure the setting on
the
copygroup is ok ?

SERialization
     Specifies how the server handles files or directories when they are
     modified during backup processing. This parameter is optional.
Possible
     values are:
     SHRSTatic
          Specifies that the server backs up a file or directory only if
it
          is not being modified during backup. The server attempts to
          perform a backup as many as four times, depending on the value
          specified for the CHANGINGRETRIES client option. If the file or
          directory is modified during each backup attempt, the server
does
          not back it up.

          Specifies that the server backs up a file or directory only if
it
          is not being modified during backup. The server attempts to
          perform the backup only once.

          Platforms that do not support the STATIC option default to
          SHRSTATIC.

For unix client, I set this on this:
    DYnamic
          Specifies that the server backs up a file or directory on the
          first attempt, regardless of whether the file or directory is
          being modified during backup processing.

Stef