ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Open file support for Unix clients ?

2007-04-26 17:05:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Open file support for Unix clients ?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 12:14:01 -0400
On Apr 26, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Ronald Le Large wrote:

I am annoyed by the many skipped log files during the daily
incremental
backups of the Unix clients. ...

It's common practice to periodically cut off Unix log files, with a
frequency dictated by practical sizing or useful intervals (weekly,
monthly).  With those written by Syslog, sending a HUP signal to
syslogd causes opening a fresh instance of the log.  We add
a .YYYYMMDD timestamp suffix to the cut off file, to know when the
deed was done; then we do 'gzip -9' on that to minimally compress,
then shuffle that off to an HSM file system for five years.

   Richard Sims