ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] 10 Gbit ethernet

2007-04-25 16:12:47
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] 10 Gbit ethernet
From: Lawrence Clark <Larry_Clark AT THRUWAY.STATE.NY DOT US>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 16:12:10 -0400
Well,
On the IBM SP we ran backups over the internal switch which was
17GB(yte) if I recall.

And we currently have fibre attachements to drives, so I don't know why
the speed of
the NIC should be a concern. The operation of the NIC is under the OS,
not TSM.

>>> warbogas AT INDIANA DOT EDU 04/25/07 4:41 PM >>>
Is anyone running TSM over 10 Gbit ethernet?  Is there any question
that it would be supported?

We have two data centers about 60 miles apart. We are planning to
send backup files from each data center to a 3584 ATL in the other
via a 10 Gbit ethernet link. The server hardware would be HP DL585-
G2's with Myricom 10 Gbit NICs and 2.6 Ghz AMD processors. The
operating system would be Redhat EL 4.

If anyone else has experience with TSM and 10 Gbit ethernet we would
be glad to hear about it.

Thank you,
Keith Arbogast
Indiana University

contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise exempt
from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message is from an
attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also contain confidential
attorney-client communications which may be privileged and protected from
disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be advised that you have
received this message in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding,
printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the New York State
Thruway Authority immediately by either responding to this e-mail or calling
(518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies of this message and any attachments.