ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Select Statement

2007-04-23 16:46:44
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Select Statement
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 16:46:17 -0400
-----Brenda Collins wrote: -----

>Does anyone know of a way to determine what files existed under a
>specific directory path for a node as of a certain date and time?

Your subject line suggests that you are looking for a select command,
but I think it will be easier to get the information using one of the
client interfaces. If need be you can use the '-virtualnodename'
option to run the interface on a system other than the one the files
came from.

If you use the command line client, you can execute a 'query backup'
command with '-subdir=y' and appropriate values for the '-pitdate'
and '-pittime' options.

If you use the GUI client, request a restore, click the 'Point In
Time' buton, and specify the appropriate date and time. You can then
drill down into the file system and directory structure to see what
files are listed. When you are done you can exit without going through
with the restore.

It should be noted that any method of using the TSM database to
determine past file populations has inherent limitations. TSM only
examines file populations when backups are run. It cannot tell you
exactly what happened between backups. For example, a file that came
and went between consectutive backups would be completely invisible
to TSM. Depending on how far back in time you want to look, TSM
expiration processing may have erased information about some of thefiles
present at the time of interest.