ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Backup procedures for PICK/UNIDATA

2007-04-23 14:57:14
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Backup procedures for PICK/UNIDATA
From: Rick Saylor <rsaylor AT AUSTINCC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 13:38:44 -0500
Kelly,

Our Unidata database is backed up with TSM and as you've suggested
the dbpause and dbresume are used to ensure a good backup. A TSM
prebackup script pauses the database, takes a snapshot of the
database and then resumes the database access. TSM then backs up the
now static copy of the database. This way the database is only paused
for a few seconds. Once the backup is complete a postbackup scripts
removes the snapshot. You didn't say what your environment is but
ours is AIX 5.2 with the database on a mirrored JFS2 filesystem.

This has worked well for us. Each day the backup is restored to a
remote site as well as our test system. We've never had any problems.

Thanks,
Rick Saylor

Austin Community College