ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Copan VTL

2007-04-19 12:01:25
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Copan VTL
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 10:01:09 -0600
I was asked to visit Copan and evaluate the product for use in a TSM
environment.  In the interest of telling you where I sit before telling
you where I stand, I can't really get my hands around VTL in a TSM
environment.  I'd rather use the disks as disks instead of tape.  Now, I
am being persuaded to reconsider my position on this, but that's not the
point here.

I was able to convince myself that the Copan solution would be perhaps
valuable as a file device class pool even though the MAID concept would
most likely be broken from the get go.  They wan these guys manage
inexpensive SATA drives, keeping them in their "happy" place works well
even if they can't spin them down as they would normally like to.

My point is that even if you do move tons of data other benefits of
their technology might pan out even without the MAID stuff.  I more or
less concluded that for larger environments (where you can sufficiently
amortize the cost of the technology across lots of TB) then Copan may
provide a good solution.  Independent of how you might use it.

>From a company standpoint these guys appeared to be pretty good.  I get
to meet lots of vendor folks in my job and that "feeling" has come to
mean more to me than the technology (unless the technology simply
sucks...).

Thanks,

Kelly

Kelly J. Lipp