ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Destroy Data on 3590 Tapes

2007-04-18 19:00:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Destroy Data on 3590 Tapes
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 17:59:52 -0500
Herrmann, Boris wrote:

> I've another question. We've got two new 3584 Libraries with 3592 Drives.
> Our boss want to sell the old Library 3494 with the all 3590 Tapes
> (about 2300). For this reason we've to destory the data on this tapes.
> The Library is attached via SCSI to our AIX TSM Server (Version
> 5.2.8.0). Does anyone know how we can realize this matter?
>
> We are at a loss how we can do destorying 2300 Tapes with minor effort.

Depending on how paranoid (or how trusting) you are, some tape vendors
will buy back used 3590 tapes, erase/overwrite/test/certify them to be
resold used, physically destroy the ones that don't pass muster, and
provide documentation/assurance of their process in writing.

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa