ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Best Business Practice for upgrading LTO2 drives in IBM 3584 Library

2007-04-14 14:46:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Best Business Practice for upgrading LTO2 drives in IBM 3584 Library
From: CAYE PIERRE <Pierre.Caye AT ALCATEL-LUCENT DOT FR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 15:55:01 +0200
Hi,

Few month ago, we upgraded two lib. 3584 from LTO1 to LTO2.
In our case, it was very simple, LTO3 is just read compatible with LTO1
cartridge, so...
>From my experience, I think that the best is to replace LTO2 cartridges as
>soon as possible with LTO3 cartridges.
By replcacing vaulted cartridge when they become scratch, and move data,
migration, and so.. (so many solutions :-)
A special point is the vaulting. If I understand everything, you send copies
offsite.
We encounter lot of problems with bad cartridges since we are with LTO3, and
exclusively with cartridges coming back from off-site...
We are actually building a new solution with electronic vaulting to avoid
cartridges problems.

Pierre Cayé