ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Remove unwanted files

2007-04-13 18:31:48
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Remove unwanted files
From: William Boyer <bjdboyer AT COMCAST DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:31:29 -0400
If you do that, then the next backup will EXPIRE the backup copies on the TSM
server. They will then be managed by the Versions
Deleted, Retain Extra and Retain Only parameters. They will not be deleted
immediately! There is a technique that has been discussed
on this list and I've used on several occassions:

1. Define a new management class (I always call is ZERO) with VERE=1 VERD=0
RETE=0 RETO=0.
2. The first night change your include/exclude to
        Include e:\data\*.dbf  ZERO
        Include e:\index\*.dbf  ZERO
        Include e:\system\*.dbf  ZERO
        Include d:\undo_temp\*.dbf  ZERO
3. Now you will be left with only a single copy of the files in TSM server once
the backup and expire inventory completes
4. Change your DSM.OPT for the next night's backup to:
        Exclude e:\data\*.dbf
        Exclude e:\index\*.dbf
        Exclude e:\system\*.dbf
        Exclude d:\undo_temp\*.dbf
5. After this backup all versions of the file will be deleted from TSM storage.

I know this takes 2 days/cycles of backups to complete, but you are able to
remove the files from TSM storage without having to wait
for them to roll off.

Bill Boyer
"A life? Cool! Where can I download one of those?" - ??