ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] LTO Tape Encryption Ideas

2007-04-13 16:52:19
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] LTO Tape Encryption Ideas
From: Len Boyle <Len.Boyle AT SAS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:32:16 -0400
Hello Kelly,

We are not doing encryption with tape drives, but have been asking the
questions.
My understanding is that lto-3's do not do encryption, have you heard something
different.
The encryption of the lto-4's is listed on the web site www.lto.org.

http://www.lto.org/newsite/html/news_4_11_07.html

"For additional security, generation 4 supports 256-Bit AES-GCM encryption
capabilities at the tape drive level that are designed to enable the writing of
encrypted data to the LTO Ultrium tape cartridge, helping to protect the
storage and transport of sensitive information. "

I do not know how true it is, but I heard that the lto-4's might use the same
method's as the TS1120.

len