ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Follow-up on: Problems with Imation ultrium-2 (LTO-2) tapes?

2007-04-13 09:04:37
Subject: [ADSM-L] Follow-up on: Problems with Imation ultrium-2 (LTO-2) tapes?
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 09:04:16 -0400
Just for what it's worth - an observation.

I run about 2.4 TB of data through my 3584 on a daily process, between
archives, backups, and off-site copies. I've had the same 4 cleaning
tapes in place since my first 3584, with LTO-1 drives, just over 5 years
now - and one tape has had a count of 11 uses. All from early days,
using the tape to verify drives after maintenance.

The count is now at 35; I've done 24 cleaning cycles this week on 16
drives.

I have an RMA number.

Tom

 -----

Is there any particular firmware I should be running in my IBM drives to
work with Imation tapes? We've been running Fuji and IBM with no issues
for years, but we put a group of new Imation tapes in Friday - and I've
had write errors on 4 of them so far, and a read error on one that
caused the drive to go not-ready to the point it won't soft-reset. I am
back-level on drive firmware (I don't usaually fix anything that's
working) so I thought I'd check that before I get an RMA from the vendor
for the tapes.

TIA

Tom Kauffman

NIBCO Inc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:  This email and any attachments are for the
exclusive and confidential use of the intended recipient.  If you are not
the intended recipient, please do not read, distribute or take action in
reliance upon this message. If you have received this in error, please
notify us immediately by return email and promptly delete this message
and its attachments from your computer system. We do not waive
attorney-client or work product privilege by the transmission of this
message.