ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Message ANR0481W, ANS1809W, ANS1810E: Session lost

2007-04-13 07:38:06
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Message ANR0481W, ANS1809W, ANS1810E: Session lost
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 07:37:01 -0400
On Apr 13, 2007, at 5:11 AM, Gerd Becker wrote:

Hello *SM*ers,
since we changed our network interface on the tsm server (IBM P630, AIX5.3) to Gigabit Eth, we get very often the error ANR0481W, Session lost. On the Client Error Log we get the message ANS1809W, ANS1810E very often. On the
server side the option for commtimeout is 3600 and idletimeout is 60.
Has anyone an idea what the problem my be? Can I increase commtimeout to
7200 and idletimeout to 120?
Best regards
gerd w. becker, emprise

Gerd -

Your timeout values look sufficient to me - and if they were good for processing before this change, then they probably are still good, unto themselves.

I would suspect the network change, which may have been introduced into the environment without adequate testing or configuration guidance to those using it. I would pursue TCP load testing outside of TSM, looking for anomalies in operation, as well as conferring with your networking people.

Note that the TSM Messages manual says of ANS1809W:
"Frequent occurrences of the ANS1809W message can indicate a problem with the network. If this message is repeatedly found in the dsmerror.log, investigate possible networking trouble, such as a failing network interface card or router problem. One common problem is the media speed of the network adaptors: If the network adaptors are set to ′′auto-negotiate′′, try changing them to ′′100% fullduplex ′′." [Note that with gige, you may be forced to use autonegotiation rather than fixed settings; but perform quality assurance tests nonetheless.]

   Richard Sims