ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Migration process

2007-04-10 19:58:16
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Re: Migration process
From: David Bronder <david-bronder AT UIOWA DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:57:53 -0500
Allen S. Rout wrote:

> This used to be the only way to accomplish this effect, and it's still
> what I do now. But When I Get Around To It, I'm going to change to the
> somewhat new
>
> migrate stgpool [yadda] lowmig=0 duration=[minutes]
>
> which has the advantage that you don't have to actually change the
> stgpool settings, thus protecting you against all sorts of odd
> failures resulting in stgpools with wrong configuration.

I recently changed to this for my (twice) daily full migration, now
that I'm at TSM 5.3.

Since some of my disk pools are just a little tight, I set those pools'
LOWMIG to 79 (HIGHMIG=80), hoping to get TSM to migrate "just enough"
to buy space/time until the morning processing kicks in.  However, the
automated migrations seem to not be very sensitive to the LOWMIG value
(I've been moving it closer to HIGHMIG but the migrations still keep
on running).

I also wish they'd included a "migrate stgpool" override for MIGPROCESS
as well, which would have allowed further fine-tuning of the behavior.

--
Hello World.                                    David Bronder - Systems Admin
Segmentation Fault                                     ITS-SPA, Univ. of Iowa