ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Migration process

2007-04-10 16:06:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Migration process
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 14:06:46 -0600
Typically, a site will completely drain their cachepool before nightly
backups run.  To do this, create an admin schedule that lowers the
thresholds to highmig=0 lowmig=0.  This will fire migration processes
and continue to run them until all of the data has been migrated.  If
caching is enabled on the pool the end result will show via a q stg
operation cachepool with %Utilized 99% and %migratable 0%.  Once
migration has finished be sure to set the thresholds back to 90 and 70
or data will go directly to tape.  So either script this so that one
script does both (while waiting for migration to complete), or have
another admin schedule that runs sometime later to reset the thresholds.

An even better way is to lower to 0 0, then immediately update again to
90 0 (migration will continue since it started) and then sometime later
set low back to 70.

Update stg cachepool highmig=0 lowmig=0 migproc=4 (number of tape drives
you want to use)
Update stg cachepool highmig=90 lowmig=0

Sometime later

Update stg cachepool highmig=90 lowmig=70

After doing this, if you are still having migration run during your
backups you need to make your pool larger by adding volumes to it.

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO
STORServer, Inc.
485-B Elkton Drive