ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] managing space

2007-04-08 21:55:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] managing space
From: Roger Deschner <rogerd AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 20:55:00 -0500
Hello. This is not the way that TSM works. You need to understand the
TSM system of "progressive backups", where a file is backed up only
once. If it never changes, it is never backed up again. Every day, only
the files that change get backed up. The TSM Database keeps track of all
this, and allows you to do a complete restore if you need to, getting
each file from the tape it was written to. I suggest looking in the
manual "TSM Administrator's Guide" which you may be able to find in your
own language for easier reading. There is an English copy at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/tivihelp/v1r1/index.jsp.

You have two separate backup requirements. One is the normal working
backups. Instead of weekly overwrite and so on, you need to set these up
with 7 inactive copies, keep inactive copies for one month, and use
normal TSM progressive backups. You will find that normal TSM
progressive backups are MUCH faster than overwriting a full backup every
2 or 7 days, use a LOT less tape, and that it gives you better
protection. For fastest restore, these should probably be set up with
TSM collocation.

Your monthly archive is a separate problem. This should be a TSM archive
process, set to be kept for 2 years. This would be a full archive copy.

Multiple backups will be written to the same tape, until it is full. The
same tape can have backups from different dates on it. This is normal,
and it saves tape. The tape will be reused and overwritten automatically
when enough of its files have expired that it can be copied to a new
one. The default is when it becomes 50% empty.

Do not forget that you also need to back up the TSM Database to tape.

Hope this helps get you started. It is a different way of working in
TSM. You do not have the usual cycle of weekly full backups and daily
incremental backups. TSM is very different - you never do a full backup
after the first day, because you do not need to. This confuses a lot of
people, but once you understand how progressive backups work and how the
TSM database keeps track of everything for you, then you will understand
how it is really better.

Contact your local IBM office and have them order a copy of the TSM
Concepts Poster for you. It is free, and it makes of these concepts a
lot easier to understand. The poster is IBM publication number
SC32-9464-00.