ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] EXPORT order

2007-04-05 16:25:28
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] EXPORT order
From: Kelly Lipp <lipp AT STORSERVER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 14:25:15 -0600
Domains and server information first and then the client data.

As another approach consider starting from scratch on your new TSM
server rather than sending any data at all from the old servers.  You
can export/import the server information but then simply have the
clients start doing backups to the new server.

As to the data on the old servers: keep it there until it dies a natural
death in case you need to restore it.  Once sufficient time has elapsed,
consider exporting the remainder of the data, especially if it's archive
data and then decommission the old servers.

I like this approach because it give you a chance to start fresh.
Orphaned filespaces will be gone, other garbage will be gone.  I
especially like this when coming form an older server environment like
these.

Just something to consider.  BTW, we recommend this to our customers in
almost all circumstances when we migrate them from one STORServer to
another.

Thanks,

Kelly J. Lipp
VP Manufacturing & CTO