ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Orphaned filespaces

2007-04-04 11:29:20
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Orphaned filespaces
From: Bill Kelly <KELLYWH AT AUBURN DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 10:28:25 -0500
An important little caveat to using the backup_start and/or backup_end
columns in the filespaces table: these values are only updated when a
"full incremental" backup is run.  From what I can tell, that means
when:

1) a client schedule with action=incremental runs, or
2) in the GUI, "Actions/Backup Domain" is clicked, or
3) a command line "dsmc incremental" is run (not a selective one,
either - no paths can be specified)

We have a bunch of people who don't like/don't want to run scheduled
backups (don't ask me...we're a university), and who just do occasional
backups of C: drives and such via the GUI.  These people's filespaces
*always* show null backup_start and backup_end dates.  Richard, I
suspect this is what's happening occasionally at your site.

These null date fields are a real pain for me; there's no good way to
determine whether such filespaces have been 'abandoned' (e.g., old PC
goes away, new PC comes in and filespace name changes) or not.

-Bill

Bill Kelly
Auburn University OIT
334-844-9917

>>> Richard Rhodes <rrhodes AT FIRSTENERGYCORP DOT COM> 4/4/2007 9:36 AM >>>
I've come at orphaned filespaces from a little different angle.
What I do is get a list of filespaces that have not
been backed up in some number of days.  This helps for when
filesystems
on nodes get removed and the filespace with active files just sits in
tsm .
. . forever.

This sql produces a list of filespaces that have not been backed up in
7
days.

(note_1:  The check for '%ZZRT%' excludes retired nodes - we rename
retired
nodes to
a "zzrt_" prefix so they can be easily identified.)

(note_2:  run from within a ksh script on aix)

dsmadmc -se=$tsm -id=$adminid -password=$adminpwd -tab -noc <<EOD
  select -
      node_name, -
      filespace_name, -
      filespace_id, -
      unicode_filespace, -
      cast((current_timestamp-backup_end)days   as decimal(5,0)) -
   from -
      filespaces -
   where -
        node_name not like '%ZZRT%' -
    and cast((current_timestamp-backup_end)days  as decimal(5,0)) \> 7
-
   order by node_name, -
          filespace_id
EOD

I also run this . . .a variation of the above.  It attempts to find
filespaces that have never been backed up.  Same notes from above
apply.
I'm not sure where/how these come about, but we seem to get a few.

dsmadmc -se=$tsm -id=$adminid -password=$adminpwd  -tab -noc <<EOD
  select -
      node_name, -
      filespace_name, -
      filespace_id, -
      unicode_filespace, -
      backup_start, -
      backup_end -
   from -
      filespaces -
   where -
        node_name not like '%ZZRT%' -
    and ( backup_start is null -
     or backup_end is null )  -
   order by node_name, -
          filespace_id
EOD

personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named above. If
the reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an
agent responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that you have received this document in error
and that any review, dissemination, distribution, or copying of
this message is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
communication in error, please notify us immediately, and delete
the original message.