ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] New personal best.

2007-04-02 13:24:45
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] New personal best.
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 13:24:25 -0400
>> On Mon, 2 Apr 2007 08:52:48 -0600, "Barnhart, Troy" <TBarnhart AT RCRH DOT
>> ORG> said:

> We're curious here in our shop...  We are building a couple of
  servers for a new project that may do this also.

> How fast did this 1 TB backup?  Is this with an AIX-TSM server?
  Diskpool Hardware?  Tapepool Hardware?

It took a bit more than a day, but that's complicated. (see below)

AIX server, yes.

56G of disk landing pad,   fiber 3592s (J1As) after that.  What it would do was,

1) Fill up the landing pad.  Landing pad starts to empty initially at
   80%, later I lowered to 30. :)

2) wait for an additional mount point (sometimes a few hours)

3) Write an aggregate to the tape directly, and then go back to the
   landing pad, which by then would have drained some.

This was not at all optimal arrangement for the huge serial transfer
(initial backup of a ~2T filespace) but I decided I wasn't interested
in fotching the config too badly for the temporary case.

In another month or so, this particular TSM server (which is growing
fast, natch... )  will have more like 550G landing pad, which would be
a better buffer.

- Allen S. Rout