ADSM-L

[ADSM-L] Migrating to another vendor's LTO drives - practical experiences?

2007-04-02 10:35:42
Subject: [ADSM-L] Migrating to another vendor's LTO drives - practical experiences?
From: David McClelland <David.McClelland AT REUTERS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 15:35:28 +0100
Hi all,

Does anyone have any practical experiences of migrating from a library
containing drives from one manufacturer (i.e. HP LTO2) to a library
populated with drives from another manufacturer (i.e. IBM LTO3)? Aside
from the obvious TSM Device Driver/IBMtape driver changes on the host,
the LTO specification suggests that for properly certified drives there
should be no problem reading and writing to tapes written by different
drive manufacturers. However, I'd be eager to learn of anyone's
practical experiences of reading tapes in one manufacturer's drive that
were originally written to in another's.

Whilst I feel confident that a move from HP to IBM LTO drives is a
sensible move in terms of drive performance and reliability, I want to
understand if there are any additional risks in terms of compatibility
and attempt to mitigate against them up front (i.e. regenerate offsite
copies from new drives) rather than being faced with I/O errors when
trying to recover some user's data at 3am one morning...

TIA,

David McClelland

This email was sent to you by Reuters, the global news and information company.

except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Reuters
Limited.

Reuters Limited is part of the Reuters Group of companies, of which Reuters
Group PLC is the ultimate parent company.
Reuters Group PLC - Registered office address: The Reuters Building, South
Colonnade, Canary Wharf, London E14 5EP, United Kingdom
Registered No: 3296375
Registered in England and Wales