ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Slow connection on one dsmc sel

2007-03-29 08:56:57
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Slow connection on one dsmc sel
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:44:17 -0400
On Mar 29, 2007, at 8:26 AM, Ibán Bernaldo de Quirós Márquez wrote:

Thanks for your reply Richard... sorry for not giving specific details !! We are backin up directly to disk. At the moment three of the dsmc have finished. Only one stills !! but very slow comparing to others... We have check network performance and the net is freely at 80 %, so we are only using 20 % of our throughput. Does the TSM client do it best to get the better throughput independly of how the network is ¿?

TSM doesn't have a lot of self-optimization, and what there is exists almost wholly in the server. See "Backup performance" in ADSM QuickFacts for all the usual things to check. Do a bunch of 'Query SEssion' commands on the server to get a sense of where slowness is, as revealed in the State report field. Check the ANR0406I session start messages to see if all came via the same network path. (Routing can affect speed.) The file system or directory branch involved can have a great impact on client throughput (fragmentation, contention, virus checking, search time, media weakness resulting in time-consuming read retries, etc.). Check your OS error log for any issues. Run an OS analyzer ('top', or the like) to see what the process and disk subsystem are doing. If the problem area is not apparent, run the backup with client tracing activated, per the TSM Problem Determination Guide.

  Richard Sims