ADSM-L

Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file

2007-03-20 16:40:33
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Error writing volume history file
From: John Monahan <John.Monahan AT US.LOGICALIS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 15:37:25 -0500
You could also try more extensive testing using the "backup volhist"
command on your own instead of waiting every one-two weeks for it to fail.

______________________________

John Monahan
Consultant
Logicalis
5500 Wayzata Blvd Suite 315
Golden Valley, MN 55416
Office: 763-417-0552 x109
Cell: 952-221-6938
Fax:  763-417-0554
John.Monahan AT us.logicalis DOT com
http://www.us.logicalis.com

Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
03/20/2007 03:26 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Error writing volume history file

-----Bill Kelly wrote: -----

>Is it not possible that the /var filesystem *sometimes* has too
>little space available? After all, didn't you say that this only
>fails roughly every one to two weeks? Perhaps the failures coincide
>with some other activity (possibly unrelated to TSM) that
>temporarily eats up most/all of the available space in /var?
>Dumps?  Logs?  Something else?

That scenario is essentially impossible to disprove conclusively,
but it doesn't look very promising as an explanation. The Linux
system is dedicated to running the TSM server and some monitoring
and automation functions for the server. We have been able to
check the free space in /var within an hour of most of the
occurances of the write failure. Dumps or log files that filled
up /var would probably have still been around when we checked
free space. There are no cron jobs that clean up files in /var,
and all the people who could have removed such files know I
aminvestigating
the write failures.