ADSM-L

Re: Backing up full primary stgpool

2007-03-15 11:21:01
Subject: Re: Backing up full primary stgpool
From: Richard Mochnaczewski <Richard.Mochnaczewski AT STANDARDLIFE DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:20:04 -0400
Let's say that we have a disk storage pool called PRD_DISK. Every night backups
run and we run a backup stgpool command for our offsite copies to a tapepool
called PRD_DR and then we initiate a migration of data from PRD_DISK to onsite
tapepool called PRD_TAPE.

When you run a backup stgpool of PRD_DISK to PRD_DR you are only backing up the
incremental and not the whole storage pool ( by whole , the equivalent data of
what is being cached ). If , for instance, we are running Oracle incremental
backups of a database where we run a full cold backup which is 420 Gb to the
storage pool PRD_DISK  on a Friday and then the next few days I run an
incremental, come Wednesday, if I run a backup stgpool again I will only get
the latest incremental data restored when I do a restore stgpool. What it comes
time to restore such a database, in the past becasue we were running daily hot
backups of the database. At a DR test we would be give the DR test date and do
a restore stgpool of PRD_DISK which would contain the complete database on
disk. Then, the DBA could launch as many threads as they need to restore the
database quickly rather than having to go to tape and hogging several tape
drives to get the databse restored when we go the incremental route.

Rich