ADSM-L

volume history file

2007-03-07 11:39:30
Subject: volume history file
From: Ken Chamberlain <ken.chamberlain AT UTORONTO DOT CA>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 11:38:49 -0500
I've been running TSM for over a decade now.  During this time the only
deletions from volhist happen by way of a daily schedule:
"del volhist todate=today-9 type=dbb"
My volhist file is getting HUGE.  There must be more I can delete.  What do
other shops do?
How do you find the oldest inuse volume?
I tried querying the volume table for LAST_WRITE_DATE and sorting ascending
on this column, the first record is the oldest tape.  Do I then find this
volumes entries in volhist to find its current creation date (STGNEW)?

Ken Chamberlain
University of Toronto
Phone:(416) 978-1582
Fax:  (416) 971-2085
E-mail: ken.chamberlain AT utoronto DOT ca