ADSM-L

Re: Can I enlarge a dbvol by mirroring?

2007-03-01 11:42:48
Subject: Re: Can I enlarge a dbvol by mirroring?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 11:42:04 -0500
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2007 09:01:33 -0500, "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT
>> COM> said:

> If your Dbvbols are not in a hardware raid or mirrored environment,
> the correct (or paranoid) procedure would be to create a new 12 GB
> dbvol AND a 12 GB dbvol mirror -- and THEN delete the 9 GB dbvol and
> the 9 GB mirror. It takes a bit longer, but it is the clean way to
> go.

Actually, you're still exposed there.

The procedure goes:

DEF DBVOL new
DEF DBCOPY new new-copy

DEL DBVOL old-copy

[D'oh! old is now unmirrored]

DEL DBVOL old

and for however long it takes you to copy, you stay unmirrored.

Now, this is not a huge exposure, in the scheme of things.  But it
-is- an exposure, and I don't see a reason for it.  I've wished aloud
here in the past for something like 'EMPTY DBVOL' so you can move data
off a mirrored volume onto other mirrored vols.

- Allen S. Rout