ADSM-L

Re: Selective backup of directories that are mounted file systems

2007-03-01 08:07:46
Subject: Re: Selective backup of directories that are mounted file systems
From: Peter Hitchman <pjhlists AT GOOGLEMAIL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 13:00:22 +0000
Hi,
Thanks from the reply.  I just think in terms of backing everything up from
a certain point downwards making sense, because the sub-directories should
be related. But I take your point, from a file system point of view its
cleaner not to just cross boundaries when the backup takes place.

Thanks

Pete

On 01/03/07, Richard Sims <rbs AT bu DOT edu> wrote:

On Mar 1, 2007, at 5:15 AM, Peter Hitchman wrote:

> Hi,
> To answer my own question , I  could specify more than pathname in the
> "selective" command.
> But what I am doing here is a cold database backup and I have more
> than one
> db to deal with and I did not want to have customized scripts to
> deal with
> each database, just because some of the sub-directories happen to
> be used as
> mount points for file systems.
>
> Is there a good explanation why TSM acts in this way?

It's simply rational behavior.  You never want backups straying into
file systems other than you specified should participate in the
operation.  Consider the extreme example of performing a backup of
'/', and you happen to have /afs mounted...

You need to specify just what you want backed up by Selective, which
can be performed most readily by a shell or perl script in the
operating system environment.

    Richard Sims