ADSM-L

Re: TAPEPOOL made up of mixed LTO2 & LTO3 media

2007-02-22 11:04:05
Subject: Re: TAPEPOOL made up of mixed LTO2 & LTO3 media
From: Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 11:01:22 -0500
Bill,

Can you post the output of "q devc f=d"?  That may help us...
You can keep your existing storage pools for your LTO2 tapes, and define
new ones for your LTO3 tapes.  That's what I did.  In fact, I still
purchase and use LTO2 cartridges, because of our DR contract which does not
specify LTO3 drives, we send only LTO2 to our offsite vault.

By local convention, I include the media type in the storage pool name.
So, I have storage pools like "WIN_LTO2", "WIN_LTO3", and "WIN_LTO2_COPY".
The first two are primary pools, and the third is a copy pool (of course).
I backup both of the primary pools to WIN_LTO2_COPY.

I have four LTO3 drives and fourteen LTO2 drives in my STK library... TSM
will use the LTO3 drives for LTO2 operations when they come up in the
rotation... LTO3 operations will of course only use LTO3 drives.  It is
possible that all LTO3 drives can have LTO2 media loaded when an LTO3
operation starts, which causes that session/process to wait for mount
points.

Your original LTO (LTO2) storage pool will always have only LTO2 volumes,
and your new LTO3 pool(s) will always have only LTO3 volumes.  That's how
storage pools work, all volumes must be of the same type.  Which media gets
used is determined by the destination in the copygroup... which points to a
storage pool, which has a device class, which specifies the format, which
determines the device type/recording density, etc...  and the chosen media
will be loaded into an appropriate drive.

Hope this helps...

_Robin

             Bill Dourado
             <bill.dourado@ALS
             TEC.COM>                                                   To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: TAPEPOOL made up of mixed LTO2
                                       & LTO3 media

             02/22/2007 05:13
             AM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hi,

Thankyou to Robin and others for your useful comments.

Is it possible to retain and continue using some of my existing tape
storage pools
associated with  device class LTO ;  and create  new ones associated with
device
class LTO3 . ?

Will the storage pools with LTO device class  then use a mixture of  LTO2
& 3 tapes ?
And the new storage pools LTO3 tapes only ?

Thanks

Bill

Robin Sharpe <Robin_Sharpe AT BERLEX DOT COM>
21/02/2007 19:37