ADSM-L

Active Only Storage Pools for DR

2007-02-15 12:00:28
Subject: Active Only Storage Pools for DR
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 11:02:22 -0800
For years I've been asked by my customers if they could have many versions for
files in their primary pools while limiting the versions in their copy pools to
1 for disaster recovery.

  In reading up on the new TSM V5.4 feature "Active-Only Storage Pools" it
looks like this is now a reality. I could create an Active-Only storage pool
(limited to backup data, no archive data). This new pool would now become my
new destination pool for my backup storage pool command.  I could even go one
step further and choose to collocate this data by node. The end result would be
a set of tapes at DR that would not have to skip over any files when performing
a restore.

  I realize great consideration has to be done before implementating something
like this because if the active file is corrupt you wouldn't be able to recover
a previous version. Still, in the case of DR I know I have many customers that
would accept the risk in order to reduce the amount of data they have offsite
and to speed up their restores.

  I know that you can set a tape in an active only storage pool to offsite so
I'm assuming that it will be included with move drm.  I still haven't completed
testing myself yet though.

  I'm wondering if anyone out there is considering this as well?

 Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.