ADSM-L

Continued hijinx with a Windows TSM server and a 3494 library

2007-02-15 11:50:11
Subject: Continued hijinx with a Windows TSM server and a 3494 library
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:09:29 -0600
Wanda P. was a *huge* help with the last round of difficulties I had, but now
I've run across a few more.

I've got 9 dual-connected fiber-attached 3592 tape drives going into this
library. Sometimes the tape drives behave as advertised, but sometimes the same
drive(s) will give me

ANR8311E An I/O error occurred while accessing drive DRIVE04 (mt3.0.0.4) for
SETMODE operation, errno = 170.  (SESSION: 4, PROCESS: 3)

followed by

ANR9999D mmsflag.c(8330): ThreadId<32> Could not determine the media type of
media O00237 in drive DRIVE04 (mt3.0.0.4). (SESSION: 4, PROCESS: 3)

But then the next thing I do with the drive works. It's almost as if TSM uses
both fiber paths during an operation, causing confusion about whom is doing
which.

I'm about to call Tivoli support, but I thought I'd throw this out to the list
before I do. Anyone seen anything like this?

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior consultant