ADSM-L

Re: 5.4 TDP for MSSql Heads up.

2007-02-13 22:04:00
Subject: Re: 5.4 TDP for MSSql Heads up.
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 13:03:36 +1000
Many thanks Del, Your continued assistance and participation  on this
forum is much appreciated.

As to the explanation  while it may make some sense to someone in
accounting or maybe marketing, it makes no sense to me.  I go to a new
site to do a TSM install, I download all the *latest* packages from
Passport Advantage.  I unpack the package and it says 5.4, but when I
install the banner says 5.2.1.0 and a fix that's has been out for a year
isn't there, so I have to debug, find the maintenance, download and
install it taking a good couple of hours that I hadn't expected when I
quoted on this job.

To my mind, if a new PA package is to be released that says 5.4, then
re-release the most current maintenance level, with a code change to
just modify the version number in the banner to match the envelope.  To
do otherwise makes it look like a packaging error in the passport
advantage code and undermines confidence in the whole process.  The IT
business is hard enough without these sorts of illogical spanners in the
works.

No criticism of the development team here, but whoever decided on this
packaging of releases needs a size 9 in the backside.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
AIX and TSM Admin
Brisbane Australia

Del Hoobler wrote:
The Data Protection for SQL product was not refreshed in the
5.4 timeframe. That means the most recent Data Protection for SQL
"Paid license" package was shipped with the "5.4" packages.
That happens to be the 5.2.1.0 package for x32 and ia64
and the 5.3.3.0 package for x64.

Confusing, I know... it has to do with the fact that many
of the DP clients do no need to be refreshed as often as the BA Client.

Either way... if you already have 5.2.1.06 for x32 or ia64
or 5.3.3.01 for x64 installed, the older "paid" package
should not have installed over the newer one.

Thanks,

Del

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 02/13/2007
05:50:10 PM:

Just a heads up for the list

I downloaded the 5.4 TDP for Databases for MSSQL from passport advantage
for a new client - brand new TSM install.  It appears that support for
SQL Server 2005 has been regressed.  Reverting to the last 5.3
maintenance fixed the problem,

Regards

Steve

Steve Harris