ADSM-L

Re: Unavailable volume

2007-02-09 10:08:11
Subject: Re: Unavailable volume
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 09:03:30 -0600
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager on behalf of Kerry Campbell
I received an unusual message in my TSM report today, that told me there
is one volume unavailable.

How could this condition occur, how can I locate the unavailable volume,
and in general what is the remedy.

There could be many causes for an unavailable volume, each of which would
require a different approach to fix and prevent.

The first thing to do is discovery which volume is unavailable; this is easy:

  Q VOLUME ACCESS=UNAVAILABLE.

The next thing you need to do is to discovery why it happened. Check your TSM
server's activity log; do a search for the name of the volume (search='A00001',
for example). Do a similar search for the string UNAVAILABLE.

Examine the volume itself. Run Q VOLUME A00001 F=D. Are there any read_errors?
write_errors?

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.s AT evolvingsol DOT com)
Senior consultant