ADSM-L

Re: Option other than a Backupset: Help!

2007-02-08 13:09:33
Subject: Re: Option other than a Backupset: Help!
From: Dksh Cssc <callie.liew AT DKSH DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 02:08:37 +0800
What's the signifance difference between backupset and sysback(bare metal
fn)?

Thanks and Warmest Regards,

Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM>
01/23/2007 11:40 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Option other than a Backupset: Help!

Hi David,

They would like backupsets created so that when we have a dr drill they
can restore the filesystems that I put in the backupset immediately and
very quickly without needing many tape mounts, etc.  So it's mainly a
performance & timing issue.

Also, for onsite needs if they ever need to rebuild it would be a lot
quicker for them as well.

If there is a better way of doing this or another method that makes more
sense I am open to any suggestions.  Thanks!

********************************
Joni Moyer
Highmark
Storage Systems, Senior Systems Programmer
Phone Number: (717)302-9966
Fax: (717) 302-9826
joni.moyer AT highmark DOT com
********************************

"David E Ehresman" <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
01/23/2007 10:04 AM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: Option other than a Backupset: Help!

My first question when I hear a request like this is always "why do they
want it?"

I ask because it may be possible to give the customer what they want
with a better solution. Customers are good at saying what they need but
not always so good at finding the best way to fill that need.

What problem is backupsets suppose to address?

David

>>> Joni Moyer <joni.moyer AT HIGHMARK DOT COM> 1/23/2007 7:13 AM >>>
Hello everyone,

Several of my customers want backupsets created of their data.   I
really
don't have the extra tape drives to spare to do this, so what might be
your suggestion in getting a centralized backup of their critical
filesystems?  My TSM server is on AIX 5.3 and is at release 5.2.7.1.
Any
suggestions/help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!