ADSM-L

Re: Writing to copy pools on 3584?

2007-02-02 20:30:42
Subject: Re: Writing to copy pools on 3584?
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 20:30:26 -0500
There is no magnetic media that is so reliable and/or indestructible that it is
safe to have only 1 copy.
Period.

All my customers are making 2nd copies.

And I actually saw a 3494 (yes, it was ill) smash a 3590 tape cartridge a few
months ago.
The gripper failed, left the cartridge sticking partially out of a drive.
Then the robot ran into it.  Cartridge totalled.

How you ever gonna explain the loss of 1.5 TB (after compression) on a 3592
cartridge,  if it happens?

Now, that sort of thing happens so rarely that it is not worth keeping a 2nd
onsite copy; the copypool/DR copy is stored offsite and can be retrieved if
necessary to rebuild a damaged cartridge.

But, you gotta have a 2nd copy of the data, somewhere.