ADSM-L

Migrating to 64-bit Windows OS

2007-01-11 10:55:22
Subject: Migrating to 64-bit Windows OS
From: "Dennis, Melburn IT7" <melburn.dennis AT SIEMENS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 10:53:49 -0500
Some of our servers are going end-of-life this year and we will be
replacing them with new servers that will have the 64-bit version of the
W2K3 operationg system (instead of the 32-bit version that we had
prior).  Two questions:

1.  Is it possible to backup the 32-bit version of TSM (full db backup)
and then do a point-in-time restore to the new server which has the
64-bit version of TSM installed on the 64-bit OS.  I know that going
from different OSs is not possible (ie UNIX to Windows), but can it be
done from 32-bit Windows to 64-bit Windows?

2.  If the above is not possible, are there any issues running a 32-bit
version of TSM on a 64-bit OS?

Mel Dennis
Backup Systems Engineer
Siemens Business Services
4400 Alafaya Trail
Orlando, FL 32826
MC Q1-108
Tel:  (407) 736-2360
Win:  439-2360
Fax: (407) 243-0260
Email:  melburn.dennis AT siemens DOT com