ADSM-L

Re: JR- using virtualnodename

2007-01-05 13:52:55
Subject: Re: JR- using virtualnodename
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 13:51:36 -0500
On Jan 5, 2007, at 1:30 PM, JR Trimark wrote:

I am trying to restore data from server_b to server_a using a GUI
(web or
java if available), server_a has crashed and is unavailable.  I
need to do
this for NetWare 6.5, 2K/2K3 Windows and 5.2 AIX; I am using the 5.2
client for AIX and the 5.3 client for Windows and NetWare.

Windows is easy, just start dsm with the -virtualnodename option or
edit
the dsm.opt file. The CLI works using the -virtualn option when
running
dsmc.
NetWare only has the web client as its GUI.  Editing the dsm.opt file
doesn't seem to work. The CLI works using the -virtualn option when
running dsmc.

AIX has the web client and java as a GUI client.  Editing the
dsm.sys file
doesn't seem to work and the dsmj command ignores
-virtualnodename/-virtualn options. The CLI works using the -virtualn
option when running dsmc.

JR -

"Doesn't seem to work" is non-information: supply error messages sent
to terminal, to client error log, or the TSM client's Web log, if
what they say doesn't explain what's wrong.

Follow the manuals in detail: As for AIX, the Unix clients manual
says "Place this option in the client user options file (dsm.opt)".
The dsmj command is documented as not (yet) accepting command line args.

  Richard Sims