ADSM-L

Re: TSM DB2 API Backup Question

2007-01-03 11:28:07
Subject: Re: TSM DB2 API Backup Question
From: Charles A Hart <charles_hart AT UHC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2007 10:26:37 -0600
Thanks for the info... I'll have to increase that Diskpool so they don't
spool to tape first.  I was just hoping that the dbs api could just do a
query and not have to mount the tape

Charles Hart
UHT - Data Protection
(763)744-2263
Sharepoint:
http://unitedteams.uhc.com/uht/EnterpriseStorage/DataProtection/default.aspx

BEYERS Kurt <Kurt.BEYERS AT VRT DOT BE>
01/02/2007 02:14 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] TSM DB2 API Backup Question

Charles,

A DB2 backup is done by using the command:

'db2 backup db <db-alias> online use tsm include logs'

It is the 'include logs' that will add the DB2 log files to the backup you
are referring too. But it is not true that all of the DB2 log files must
be validated first, this information is already stored in the TSM
database.

The DB2 log files are archived to the archive copy pool in the management
class you are using for the DB2 backup. The database backup itself end up
in the backup copy pool of the same management class.

It might be more convenient to archive the DB2 log files to a disk storage
pool and migrate them only later on to a tape if you can't size a disk
storage pool for all of the DB2 log files. The latter case is the best
solution since a restore of the DB2 log files will go fast. Of course a
backup of the disk storage pool must be taken to a copy storage pool on
tape and should be shipped offsite. And the MediaW will disappear when the
DB2 log files go to disk.

best regards,
Kurt