ADSM-L

Re: File Devclass backups

2006-12-24 00:17:14
Subject: Re: File Devclass backups
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 00:16:42 -0500
>> On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 10:36:46 -0500, Brian Wheeler <bdwheele AT INDIANA DOT
>> EDU> said:

> Sigh, I wish I could go with new drives (or even a new TS3310
> library), but as the political climate around here is "no new
> libraries", I think even new drives would be a bit of a stretch. :(

How much space are you talking about purchasing?  I suppose the
absolute floor of capacity in "A 3494" is only about 3 TB (300x10G
volumes), and if you've got copy volumes in there it's somewhat less.
If your -total- primary occupation is indeed so low, then you're in a
range where permanent disk storage isn't nuts at today's prices.

But 3x3592 drives are only ca. 60K new; that'd get you more than 100
TB even in just your L frame.  And keep in mind that tape capacity in
a library degrades fairly neatly; you've got all kinds of magic you
can do with checking volumes in and out before stuff falls apart.
With all-disk, you're going to just run into a wall.

This isn't "New Libraries", this is "Leveraging existing enterprise
investment, and bringing it forward into the new millenium".

- Allen S. Rout