ADSM-L

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP!!

2006-12-07 14:08:17
Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP!!
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:07:14 -0500
I've never tested this but here is my guess:

There are actually 2 types of restores, classic and no-query.
In a no-query restore, I believe TSM creates a DUMMY directory structure
at the beginning, but I'm not even sure it builds the whole thing at
once.  The idea is that laying down a dummy lets it restore the files
without having to mount all the tapes once to get the directories, then
again to get the files.

So in your case I THINK it will restore the directories, but you won't
have the permissions right.

If I were you, I would run a RESTORE using the command line client and
specify -dirsonly.
That will get all your directories back ASAP, and they will be complete.

Again, that comes with a disclaimer, I haven't done it myself...

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)