ADSM-L

Re: RMAN without TDP.

2006-11-27 18:55:39
Subject: Re: RMAN without TDP.
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 09:54:41 +1000
Guys,

DBAs will always want to do the simplest thing that is completely under
their control.  This is human nature because if they ever get caught
without a backup the blame will fall on them.  They don't want to trust
any one or any thing else.

You need to prove the TDP with extensive testing, and re-prove it
regularly with different tests on different databases so that they build
up a level of trust with the product and its reliability.

Only then can you point out that TSM can use disk pools, sequential
files and tapes in a far more efficient and effective manner than
allocating individual dump areas on every database server.  At that
point management will leap at the savings in their ever expanding disk
farm and your DBAs won't have leg to stand on.  TSM wins the war again.

Regards

Steve

Steven Harris
AIX and TSM  Admin
Brisbane Australia

William Sherrill wrote:
Larry,

     I have worked on accounts that use RMAN to create backups to files.
We then typically use TSM ba client to do archives or backups of the files
which can allow you to provide retentions and offsite copies.  I preffer
archives so the data is retained for a set length of time.  If there is
enough space on your sata drives that are assigned to the database server
then you can literally just let rman create as many backups as you have
space.  RMAN is an oracle tool and the TDP for Oracle allows the RMAN to
tie into TSM.

We were setting up the TDP for Oracle for the DBA's.
We are also adding a SAN.
The DBA's have said that with disk based backups (which
we are moving to with the SATA drives), they can use
RMAN without TSM.
I do not know enough about RMAN to know if that is true.

Any one out there that has a SAN and Oracle and just
backs up to disk without TSM.

Preiviously we used SQL-BACKTRACK and TSM for Oracle.

contain information that is confidential, privileged, and/or otherwise
exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If this electronic message is
from an attorney or someone in the Legal Department, it may also contain
confidential attorney-client communications which may be privileged and
protected from disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, be
advised that you have received this message in error and that any use,
dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying is strictly prohibited.
Please notify the New York State Thruway Authority immediately by either
responding to this e-mail or calling (518) 436-2700, and destroy all copies
of this message and any attachments.