ADSM-L

Re: TDP for Oracle reliability

2006-11-27 18:15:38
Subject: Re: TDP for Oracle reliability
From: "Gee, Norman" <Norman.Gee AT LC.CA DOT GOV>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:14:58 -0800
RMAN is the oracle tool for backups.  Did they know that if you
implement Oracle RAC, the only way to backup is RMAN.  Are you using RAW
file space?  Some Oracle DBA claims that Oracle runs faster on RAW file
spaces instead of UNIX file spaces.

The physical dump requires Oracle to be down the entire time on the
backup and cannot be done on a RAW file system. One of my system is
running into a 14 hour time require for a full backup and the
recommendation is RMAN to allow for a hot backup.  The Oracle DBA is
complaining about the time require.

Hi all, quick Q regarding TDP for Oracle
our dba insists that having a physical dump of the db is the most
secure way to backup our database ...
and should be used with whatever tool we're deploying ..
I don't know much about oracle so I'm quite puzzled at this request,
is this how everyone backs up their database ?

Tim.