ADSM-L

Mixed 3592Gen1 & Gen2

2006-11-24 05:05:08
Subject: Mixed 3592Gen1 & Gen2
From: Paul van Dongen <Paul AT VANGUARD-IT.COM DOT BR>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 07:02:30 -0300
Hello all,

   Being more at home with LTOs, I am facing the following. We have a 3494
library with some 3592Gen1 drives. Recently, additional drives were installed,
and they are 3592Gen2. My question is: can TSM identify by any means that a
particular volume was written in Gen2 format and try to read them only on Gen2
drives? That means that I should (possible answers):

1) Partition the 3494 with one library with Gen1 drives and one with Gen2 drives
2) Use all drives with FORMAT=3592C in the devclass definition (No! No!)
3) Use FORMAT=Drive and let TSM decide what to do

To complicate further: TSM Server is 5.3.4 on AIX 5.3, but I still have some
storage agents at 5.2.3 level, who don't "understand" what 3592-2 is.

Thanks for your advice,
Paul van Dongen

Outgoing mail has been checked by TrendMicro InterScan VirusWall