ADSM-L

Re: Usinmg NTUTIL

2006-11-17 11:23:20
Subject: Re: Usinmg NTUTIL
From: Rejean Larivee <rlarivee AT CA.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2006 12:20:47 -0400
Hello Steve,
try this :

ntutil -f c:\ntutil.in -o c:\ntutil.out -t tape0 -c changer0 ?l

Where the contents of ntutil.in are:
      # Open the device
      command open RW
      # return the library inventory
      command return_lib_inventory_all
      # Close the device
      command close

The above shows that tape0/changer0 are opened and that the library
inventory is returned. The output would be written to c:\ntutil.out.

There is an Support Technical Exchange presentation available on
this subject. You can find it here :

Good luck !

Rejean Larivee
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support

Visit our new IBM Tivoli Storage Manager support page:
http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

Expand IBM Tivoli product knowledge through our Support Technical Exchange.

http://www-3.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/supp_tech_exch.html

             Steven Harris
             <steve@STEVENHARR
             IS.INFO>                                                   To
             Sent by: "ADSM:           ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
             Dist Stor                                                  cc
             Manager"
             <[email protected]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Usinmg NTUTIL

             11/16/2006 10:01
             PM

             Please respond to
             "ADSM: Dist Stor
                 Manager"
             <[email protected]
                   .EDU>

Hi All,

I'm trying to automate some housekeeping for brain-dead operations
staff.  One of my key issues is that they rip tapes in and out of out
libraries and neglect to  inform TSM of this.  Part of the solution will
be to reconcile the contents of the library (3592/3/4) with TSM.  Audit
is fine, but it requires all library activity to stop before it runs and
that will be problematic.

I'm trying to run NTUTIL under Windows 2003 and get the library inventory.
1. I can get this to work fine in interactive mode, but have been unable
to get it to work in batch mode, despite reading the manual forward,
backward and sideways.  Has anyone gotten the function to work and would
be willing to share the trick?

2. The unix version of the utility allows the changer to be opened and
the inventory read without opening a drive.  The windows version appears
not to do this and hence a free drive is needed to get the inventory.
Can anyone confirm that this is the case or suggest a way around  it?

Thanks

Steve

Steven Harris
AIX and TSM admin