ADSM-L

Re: [SPAM: 4.000] [ADSM-L] Litigation!

2006-11-16 11:43:47
Subject: Re: [SPAM: 4.000] [ADSM-L] Litigation!
From: Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 15:39:13 +0000
Orin

There are a number of different ways of achieving this and the best
method will probably depend on your environment. It may be that a
combination of methods may suit for you.

You can generate a backupset of the active data using the command
'generate backupset'.
For further info, do 'help generate backupset' or take a look at the
server reference manual. The main benefit is that it is stored and
managed as a single object.
You may wish to use this method to get a 'snapshot' of the baclient data
for the exchange server. It saves on objects in the DB.

Backupsets don't work for TDP data, therefore I would create a new node.
Give it a recognisable name, something like

Exchsvr_Litigation_15Nov06

Change the TDP nodename in the dsm.opt file to this temp nodename and
perform a manual backup of the exchange db. This does assume that you
have a window big enough in the evening to run a manual before the
scheduled or that you can run a manual full during the day.

Providing that you do not backup to this node again, the backup will
always be active and never expire. If you are really concerned about
expiration, set the retention values that you associate to the new node
to no limit.

You may also want to take the precaution of marking the tape(s) that the
data is written to as read-only and also setting the read-only switch
physically on the tapes.

Leigh