ADSM-L

testing an assumption here

2006-11-16 09:53:08
Subject: testing an assumption here
From: "Tyree, David" <david.tyree AT SGMC DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2006 09:49:09 -0500
            TSM 5.3 server running on W2k server and a TSM 5.2.3 client
running on a W2k box.

            On the client I'm getting about 20+ gig of bytes transferred
during each backup. Only problem is that the server only has about 8-10
gig of data on the entire thing.

            The bytes transferred number comes from the dsmsched log
file on the client side and mostly matches up with the numbers from the
query node info.

            I looked really closely at the dsmsched log and noticed that
I had a lot of 500-800 meg files that are not backing up on the first
try because they are in use. Once it fails on the first try then I have
it set to retry 5 times. I'll address the file in use issue separately.

            It eventually gives up and moves on to the next file and the
same thing happens again.

            It looks like the system is transferring a big chuck of the
file then it fails and then restarts the transfer again and again. Just
like it's supposed to. ach time it's actually transferring some data
that counts towards the bytes transferred total but the file never
really gets transferred. The end result is that my bytes transferred
numbers are being inflated by incomplete transfers.

            Is my reasoning for the inflated numbers correct?

David Tyree
Enterprise Backup Administrator
South Georgia Medical Center
229.333.1155

txt pager 1569 AT pagegate.sgmc DOT org

Confidential Notice:  This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain
copies of the original message.