ADSM-L

Tapeless Operation

2006-11-13 01:19:38
Subject: Tapeless Operation
From: Yiannakis Vakis <yiannakis.vakis AT ITD.BANKOFCYPRUS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 08:23:29 +0200
Hi,
Our management has asked me to investigate the elimination of tapes. This
seems scary to me. However, times are changing and maybe this is a direction
towards which we may end up going to in the near future.
The scope would be to purchase two Virtual Tape subsystems - for example
NetApp NearStore Virtual Tape Library (VTL) - one at the main site and the
other at the DR site. The first will mirror its data to the other at the DR
site once a day. For the time being the cost is not an issue as we are
evaluating the technology and whether it can be implemented or not. The cost
issue will come up later.
Has any of you had experience in this ?
Does anyone work with just disk backups ? If yes, how do you address DR
issues ?
And how do you deal with the psychological issues of not having tapes ?????
:-))))

Any response will be appreciated.
Yiannakis

Yiannakis Vakis