ADSM-L

Re: Using More Tapes in a Collocated Pool

2006-11-09 11:27:12
Subject: Re: Using More Tapes in a Collocated Pool
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 11:26:21 -0500
>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2006 08:55:39 -0600, Andrew Carlson <naclosagc AT GMAIL DOT
>> COM> said:

> I have recently changed my 3 TSM instances to use a collocated copypool in a
> direct attached silo offsite.  What I am seeing, is that TSM appears to be
> using more tapes than it needs to.  I have may 10 -15 tapes every day that
> have may .2% utilization, but if I move that data, it doesn't mount a
> scratch tape, it mounts an existing tape to move the data to.  Is there
> anything obvious that I could me missing before I delve into this further?
> Thanks alot.

Say you've got a primary heirarchy that looks like this:

DISKPOOL  ->  FILEPOOL  ->  TAPEPOOL

and because you're cool, you

BACKUP STGPOOL DISKPOOL OFFCOPY
BACKUP STGPOOL FILEPOOL OFFCOPY
BACKUP STGPOOL TAPEPOOL OFFCOPY

so that stuff which gets missed in the disk eventually gets copied.

It's possible for you to have as many as three tapes mounted at the
same instant, accepting data for a single node from all three primary
stgpools.

This, or related situations, would be the first place I'd look.

- Allen S. Rout